NJ Head Lice Services | Email Us Here | Call us at (732) 807-0087


When confronted with lice, many people mistakenly believe that pesticides are the best way to treat them. The first thing most people do is run to the pharmacy for over the counter head lice treatments. We have been conditioned to believe that this form of treatment is safe and effective. This is due to three common misconceptions about lice.  First, people believe that lice and eggs must be killed in order to be removed from a person, when lice and nit removal works whether or not the lice are killed.  Second, most people remain uninformed about how lice are transmitted and how long lice can survive away from human hosts.  Lastly, people also believe that if there is one infected person in the home, everyone should be treated. Only if evidence of lice or nits are found should anyone be treated. Therefore, people believe that they must use pesticides in order to remove the lice and nits from the infested person, and that they must use environmental pesticides in order to kill lice or nits that may have fallen off of the infested person.

The Danger of Pesticides

Danger of PesticidesIt is important to realize that when applying pesticide-based lice treatments to the head, they are exposed to the scalp, where there is an extensive network of blood vessels close to the surface of the skin.  This method of application makes it easy for toxic substances to move into the blood stream.  The two main pesticides used in lice treatment are lindane and pyrethins.  The pyrethins, which one finds in over-the-counter pesticide-based lice treatments are contact toxins that can kill insects upon contact with them, furthermore, many pyrethins also contain formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen.  Malathion, which is often prescribed to treat lice, is a known neurotoxin and its side-effects include nosebleeds as well as flu-like symptoms.  Lindane, which has been banned in many countries and is banned in the state of California, has been proven to be a carcinogen and is also linked to neurotoxic and blood disorders.  Given that these treatments are not necessary to remove lice and nits, and they have such potentially devastating side effects, it seems clear that pesticide-based lice treatments are unnecessary and may be harmful.

However, some people still believe that they must use environmental pesticides to clear up lice infestations.  Lice do not survive long-term away from their hosts and it is highly unlikely that nits will hatch if removed from their hosts.  Therefore, using environmental pesticides to kill lice is unnecessary.  Furthermore, in addition to the toxic risks of pesticides, environmental foggers are flammable and can cause explosions or fire if used improperly.

Fortunately, you do not have to use pesticides in order to end a lice infestation.  Lice Tech NJ only uses safe non-toxic products, and focuses on picking each nit and louse; the only proven method of lice removal.